OK, the resolutions have been made. 2013 will be the year to get your weight under control. I’m Susan Chan, I work as a motivational consultant, Hypnotherapist and life coach, in Ayrshire and beyond. I frequently get asked what are the main things that make a difference. There are so many tips that can help you get on track. Don’t ever under estimate the power of your subconscious mind! Like most women, I love to look good, feel good and be energised. So how do you remain motivated? Here is a list of 15 tried, tested and successful tips to have you in top condition for the spring!
- Determine your goals. Keep a diary. Why do you want to gain control of your weight? Write down your target weight. And the time frame. Keep a note of your progress.
- Recognise interim steps of success. Have plenty of these ‘little steps’. Reward yourself every time you hit a target. It can be a massage or a pair of shoes. It does not matter as long as it is something that you love. (No, not chocolate!)
- For every pound or kilo you lose, put an equivalent weight of sugar, or books into a bag. Lift this up regularly! Feels good. When you are going through a bad patch, this helps you to recognise how far you have come.
- Some people like to keep a note of all the subtle changes in the body, their weight, hip, bust or waist statistics. A record of this will show how far you have come, giving you the motivation to keep on.
- Search through your wardrobe and find a ‘dress’ in what will be your target weight! Now imagine what it will be like to wear it again. If you don’t have such a dress, go out and buy one in your ‘dream’ size. Keep one of your old ‘sacks’. You know that you will never need to wear it again.
- Tell your loved ones in no uncertain way that you want and expect their support.
- Realise that not every day will be successful. Don’t beat yourself up. Check your visuals, and get on with a new day.
- Search through the box of photos. Select a few images that remind you of good times…..when you felt good and looked good. Pick out an image when you did not look your best. Use it to remind you how far you have moved towards your target.
- Take time to think about what you are eating. You can eat really well. Plan in advance your intake. Don’t punish yourself by denying all the little treats. Have some, but in moderation!
- By all means go to a gym if that is your thing, but really all you need to do is walk a little more or take part in a gentle workout in your home.
- Keep in your diary details of people that you admire with success stories to tell. Avoid the shock unrealistic articles in some of the more sensational magazines.
- You can have a ‘buddy’, life or motivation coach to keep you focussed.
- Avoid negative people. They can only drag you down. Be aware of those who are jealous of you and your success. Sometimes you need to keep your inner thoughts safe from such people.
- Continue to reward yourself as you tick off the targets. Possibly a new hairstyle or manicure. The new you is now emerging1
- Continue to visualise the new, healthy you. You look good, you feel good and you have lots of energy!
Motivation coaches and therapists can empower you to make these positive changes for 2013. It could be weight control, learning how to relax or gain the confidence to tackle your resolutions, to feel and look good. Check our free relaxation and mindfulness MP3s or make contact with Susan at 01563 528801/ 07980849321.