Lifestyle surveys identify work life balance as the number one concern. When that balance is wrong then you have a problem.
Burn out. Overwork. Stress. Ill health. Depression. Sleeplessness. Relationships. Performance.
Living the Dream. How to manage your lifestyle.
Take control. Make decisions and gain some power
Never take your personal life and family for granted. Complete this simple task. Make a list of all the things that are important in your life. Now attempt to place them in order of importance to you
Be choosy. Do not try to balance work and life. Adjust according to their value to you
So where lies the problem? Know your limits. if you are concerned about your work life balance then what can you do about it?
Review your situation every 4 months. Review your priorities
Allow space in your life. Stop and relax. Dedicate time for yourself every day
- Have you actually accepted a pattern out of habit? You do not need to accept that. Allow your brain to be re-programmed to accept that your life is in many parts.
- Do you have an addiction to work? What are you trying to avoid?
- Be unavailable for a part of each day and for at least one day a week, to appreciate all aspects of your life.
- Recognise that you need to look after yourself. Only then can you look after others. If you are healthy in mind, body and spiritually, then you will be happier.
- Practise relaxation, self-hypnosis and mindfulness every day Remember you can say no! Why should you do something you don’t want or like?
Re-evaluate your perspective on life. Give yourself a regular check up by completing the ‘Wheel of Life’, every few months. Establish where you are and where you want to be.
Remember the most that you can ever give is 100%
What can you do this month. Make an action plan. Remember the little steps add up to make the big leap.
You can get the balance right. How to manage your time. To focus on your priorities. To ‘de-clutter’. To change bad habits. To regain control.
The rewards make it worth the time and commitment to take far more care of your self. as the advert says, ‘you’re worth it!’
It’s your life and your balance. You have to do it your way. We can help you.
Excepts taken from ‘Living the Dream….The secret of being happy’, by Susan Chan and Ian Geddes
Wheel of Life analysis:
Coaching: Present situation: self analysis
On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being poor and 10 being fully achieved/ happy], grade each of the categories below, as they are at
- Social/ Leisure
- Personal Growth and Development
- Marriage/ Partner
- Health and Well Being
- Relationships, Friends and
- Wealth, Job and Money
- Careers/ Job Satisfaction
- Outlook in Life/ Attitude
- Physical Environment/
Total Score /100 Date
• How has this changed since the last time you completed the chart?
• How do you feel about your life as you review this sheet?
• Which elements are you most happy with?
• Prioritise. Which elements would you like to improve?
• What steps can you start to make today to make those changes?
• What would a score of 10 feel like?
• How would you describe your work/ Life balance?